1. GENRE: All submissions must be original, unpublished, full length works dealing with LGBT characters or issues. Legal clearance of materials not in the public domain is the full responsibility of the playwright. Librettos and musical scores must be complete, not merely in developmental form. Plays or musicals do not need to have a contemporary setting.
2. RESTRICTIONS: Plays and musicals must be full length. We encourage that they have no more than three settings and a cast of no more than ten actors. There are no restrictions on subject matter but salacious or unsavory material will not be considered for presentation. Playwrights may only submit one script per year unless requested to do so by the producers.
3. ELIGIBILITY: If your play or musical had an Equity showcase production in the past year or if you are planning an Equity showcase within one year after the Festival, the work is ineligible for acceptance. If this work has been produced in a New York City theatre with more than 99 seats, it is also ineligible.
4. REQUIREMENTS: On the title page, in addition to the title of work, please include author’s name, address, phone number and email address. If a musical, please make sure the CD or cassette of the score is properly marked as well. Please include a biography and/or author's history of the play, character breakdown, and brief description or synopsis of the work.
5. PROCESSING: Please include a processing fee of $25.00 with your submission to cover duplication and distribution of materials to our Literary Committee. Checks or money orders (only) should be made payable to GAYFEST NYC, Inc. Do not send cash.
6. RETURNS: If you would like your script returned, include a manuscript size self-addressed envelope with appropriate postage affixed. Please do not include loose cash, stamps, labels or metered postage. If no S.A.S.E. is included, your script will be recycled. You will not be contacted unless we are interested in your script.
7. SUBMISSION FORM: Scripts must be typed, with pages numbered, securely bound (no binder clips) in a soft cover, in standard professional manuscript format. No disks or electronic submissions, please. No changes or revisions accepted after submission. No double-sided pages.
8. HANDLING: All submissions will be handled with great care, however GAYFEST NYC assumes no responsibility for lost or damaged scripts. Please retain a copy of your manuscript.
9. AWARDS: In lieu of royalties, playwrights of a work chosen for a Main Stage production or Reading Series presentation will be awarded $100 plus a letter of acceptance. In exchange, Main Stage series playwrights agree, in consideration for the above payment and in exchange for GAYFEST NYC producing and presenting the Play, to grant GAYFEST NYC sole and exclusive right of first refusal to option the play for development and production at terms to be mutually agreed upon by both parties.
10. OTHER BENEFITS: Playwrights will be invited to attend rehearsals and join in the collaborative process. We will choose a director and creative staff to bring your work to the stage. Playwrights will receive four (4) tickets for the opening night performance of their production and two (2) tickets to all other GAYFEST NYC presentations during the season. Due to limited resources, GAYFEST NYC cannot cover the cost of travel or housing for selected playwrights.
11. SUBMISSION REVIEW: It usually takes three to five months for us to read and process submissions. We ask that you please do not call or email our offices in the interim to inquire on the status of your submission.
12. WHERE TO SUBMIT: Mail two copies of your script and (for musicals) two copies of your score (on CD only) to: GAYFEST NYC, Inc., One River Place, Suite 917, New York, NY 10036. IF WE ARE INTERESTED IN YOUR PLAY OR MUSICAL WE WILL CONTACT YOU BY PHONE OR EMAIL
DO NOT SUBMIT YOUR PLAY OR MUSICAL
IF YOU DISAGREE WITH THIS ANY OF THESE PROVISIONS
SUBMISSIONS FOR GAYFEST NYC 2013
ARE NOW CLOSED.